Simple & Festive Fruit Dessert Recipe
We all know it can be especially difficult during the holiday season to “stay the course” with our wellness goals when there’s high calorie treats everywhere you turn – at holiday parties, work, home, etc. I’ve also found that during the chaos it’s so much easier to just pick up a high calorie, pre-made item from the local bakery because things can get hectic and you’re time becomes limited.
I was thrilled when I ran across this simple and festive fruit dessert recipe with a sweet and tart flavor from Registered Dietician, Cindy Silver, MS, RDN, LDN. It’s a healthier alternative when you’re asked to bring a dish to your next holiday gathering. Enjoy!
Apple Cranberry Crisp
Makes 6 servings
3 medium, 4 cups sliced
Apples, any kind, any color
Lemon or lime juice, squeezed from fresh
Sugar, white granulated
Whole wheat flour
Sugar, brown, not packed down
1. Preheat conventional oven to 375 degrees.
2. Wash apples and cranberries and then pat dry with a clean towel.
3. Cut apples in half. Cut in half again.
4. Peel apples and remove core and seeds. Slice into ¼ inch slices. Note: Get more fiber by not peeling the apples. Peel softens up when it’s cooked.
5. Mix together apple slices and cranberries then place into a 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
6. Squeeze lemon or lime juice all over the apples. Pick out seeds that fall in.
7. Sprinkle granulated sugar evenly over apples-cranberries. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of sugar.
8. In a separate small bowl, combine butter, flour, oats and brown sugar into the topping. With clean hands, crumble it into small crumbs.
9. Scatter topping evenly over apples-cranberries.
Bake 25 minutes.
195 Calories per serving
Check out her website for more delicious and healthy recipe ideas: MarketBasketNutrition.com